Five Lamps Roadworks
There will be some major road works carried out at the Five Lamps junction over the coming weeks.
The work will be carried out in 2 phases, and will mean (part) closure of roads in this area:
Phase 1: Monday 13th to Friday 24th August
Phase 2: Tuesday 28th to Wednesday 29th August
Please see below the link to the Council web pages, which explain more about the impact the Road works will have on routes in the area:
As a result some bus routes will be temporarily changed
Allestree (Kedleston road service)
- Inbound the Allestree will run as normal along Kedleston Road as far as Highfield Road which it will turn left into it. It will then travel along Highfield Road before turning right into Duffield Road and then continuing into the city centre.
- Outbound along Friargate and Ashbourne Road before turning into Merchant Street, Mackworth Road and Cowley Street. It will then turn onto Kedleston Road to continue its journey as normal to Allestree.
Sixes (Duffield Road service)
- inbound along Duffield Road as normal
- outbound Sir Frank Whittle Way and then the A38 to Palm Court island before returning to normal route.
A special shuttle service will also be running to serve passengers outbound between the City Centre and Palm Court Island this will go via Friargate, Ashbourne Road, Merchant Street, Mackworth Road and Cowley Street then onto Kedleston Road, Highfield Road and then onto Duffield Road as far as Palm Court Island.
- - inbound the Allestree will run as normal to Cowley Street which it will turn down and then along Mackworth Road and Merchant Street before joining Ashbourne Road and Friargate into the city centre.
- Outbound no diversion required
- inbound as far as Palm Court island then onto A38 and Sir Frank Whittle Way to bus station
- outbound no diversion required.
- A special shuttle inbound shuttle service will be operated to give customers along Duffield Road a service into town. This will leave Palm Court island and then travel along Duffield Road as far as Highfield Road, which it will use to get to Kedleston Road then into Cowley Street and then along Mackworth Road and Merchant Street before joining Ashbourne Road and Friargate into the city centre.
The issue of rat running through Strutts Park was also raised, and I received the following response to this:
Rat running will be a general issue during the works and one that is not easily controlled. For the majority of the works access will be maintained inbound to the city down Duffield Road and through five lamps and therefore there will be no need to rat run through this area.
There will be 2 days during the works (August 28 and 29) when access will not be available inbound to the city on Duffield Road. We will be signing the diversion route at both the A38 and at Broadway to catch the majority of people coming down Duffield Road and redirect them elsewhere.
This will not prevent people with local knowledge from driving further down Duffield Road and using Belper Road. Belper Road is a public highway and access must be maintained at all times for residents in this area, therefore for the two days any rat running will have to be tolerated to a point. We have a 24/7 traffic management contractor on site at all times during the works, and if we feel we need to provide extra signs or any other provisions we can react immediately.